Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Antifreeze lethal as colon cleanser

You mentioned in a recent column that ethylene glycol (antifreeze) is toxic to animals. It is also toxic to humans? I am a doctor, and I prescribe for my patients to clean your colon called Go-Lytely (which makes a person do anything, but go lightly). The main ingredient in Go-Lytely is polyethylene glycol, which sounds like a huge amount of ethylene glycol, or antifreeze. So when prescribing Go-Lytely to prepare my patients for a colonoscopy, I'm really prescribe anti-freeze? If so, I just want to tell my patients down gallon of Preston and save yourself a trip to the pharmacy?
Tom: Well, the sending off of their patients to colonoscopy with a bottle of Preston is contraindicated, doc. I would not recommend it.
RAY: While wait a minute. Antifreeze has rust inhibitors. Maybe they keep the arteries clean?
TOM: You will not need to ingest antifreeze arteries. The two related substances (polymers are, as they say the chemicals), but have different effects on the human body. Glycolic polyethelyne - the material that gives his patients - a molecule is too large, too large to be easily absorbed by the body. Its function is to block the absorption of water.

RAY: So, when patients drink 17 liters of water with the Go-Lytely, according to the instructions, all that does not absorb water acts as a "flush", which is what patients end up doing the night before your procedure.
TOM: ethylene glycol (antifreeze), on the other hand, is a very small molecule that is absorbed by the intestine. And according to Dr. Arthur J. Berman, assistant professor of clinical medicine at Columbia University Medical School and a Go-Lytely prescriber yourself, if you ingest antifreeze, getting your annual colonoscopy is the last thing you'll have to worry about.
RAY: He tells us that humans, ethylene glycol is metabolized to oxalic acid, a poison that affects the brain, heart, and - if you live long enough - the kidneys.
Tom: So, Preston is not a substitute for the Go-Lytely. On the other hand, I am anxious to know if Go-Lytely can be a substitute for Preston. So if you write me a prescription, I'll throw a gala in my bag. And the next time I overheated, I pour it in the radiator and get my health insurer for reimbursement.I have a 2001 Toyota 4Runner with 160,000 miles. I also have a pop-up fields that I pull from time to time with the 4Runner. I just made a trip from Colorado to Minnesota pulling the Camper. The 20 percent of the last trip, while traveling on the interstate, the 4Runner started jumping very well - so much that my daughter was walking Horsey Because the market for ride in his car in the back seat. I jumped up and down the coupling to the 4Runner, and continued to jump a couple of times before stopping. I need new shock?
RAY: Well, let's assume you have checked the tires, Keith, to make sure it is not inflationary.

1 comment:

  1. Antifreeze glycol is a low hazard, propylene glycol-based heat transfer fluid concentrate for closed water systems. This corrosion inhibitor is formulated with different compounds to effectively protect steel, cast iron, copper, cupric alloys, and aluminum against deterioration and freezing. Product is either clear or dyed with pink fluorescence for ease of detection.

    ReplyDelete